Par For The Course: Platteview’s Upcoming 2018-2019 Golf Season

Mr. Frank Laughlin

The 2017-2018 Varsity Boy’s Golf Team posed for a group photo with their awards.

Christian Jewell, Contributor

One of Platteview’s many successful sports can be found at the golf course this upcoming 2018-2019 spring season. The Platteview Boys’ Golf Team looks to open up this season only missing one of their varsity players, Matt Kingston, who now plays golf at the collegiate level with Northeast Community College. Even though the Trojans will be without Matt, they should still be a strong team in competitions. 

Returning varsity starter Jordan Hart will be looking to reclaim his number one spot back on the team this year after qualifying for state individually the past three years, while also attaining 2nd place at the Nebraska State Championship in the 2017-2018 season. He’s hoping to get the fourth qualifier this season and making a run for the championship. Jordan signed his letter of intent on February 6th (2019) to play collegiate golf at Northeast Community College next year. Returning varsity starter Christian Jewell will also be looking to grab an individual state qualifying bid this year. Christian signed as well on February 6th (2019) to play collegiate golf at Central Community College. 

Two other varsity starters, Jacob Muff and Jace Mahoney, will also make a return to the course this year. Jacob and Jace were apart of the 2017-2018 team that fell just two-strokes short of a team state-qualifying bid. Even though that season ended on a frustrating note, Jacob and Jace look for some redemption this season. The playing field looks wide open as some of the competing students who topped the Trojans last year have graduated since then.

The Trojans will also have to adjust to new rules this year. Some of the rules include the drop height of a ball being reduced from shoulder height to knee height, keeping the flag pin in no matter where the ball lies, and various interactions with the bunker. But the rules by no means should affect the effort and confidence of the boys’ golf team. The Trojans should be a force to be reckoned with this spring season.