Platteview Lends a Helping Hand: The Effects Of the Nebraska Flood

Westmont kids helped load supplies into cars so their families could transport it to those in need.

As Nebraskans all over the state cope with the widespread flooding due to recent rain and snow melt, Platteview High School has stepped in to help flood victims. The high school has opened its doors to those in need. Platteview is “open before and after school daily (6:45AM-7:45AM and 4:00PM-5:00PM) if families need to use shower or restroom facilities or need to come get any supplies that we have available,” said Mr. Alexander, Platteview’s principal. Since the floods have damaged many homes and citizens were forced to evacuate, many families find themselves deprived of life’s most basic necessities. Platteview has stepped up and hosted several charitable opportunities as well planning more for the future to help those in need. 

Children volunteered to make sandwiches for firefighters and flood responders, as well as help people in need of supplies.

The overall harm caused by the recent flooding has been staggering. The total damages in Nebraska has reached an estimated $1.3 billion. With property damage affecting homes and agricultural sites, an estimate of $1 million a day is being lost due to the flooding. Because of this, many predictions state that families won’t be able to make it through the year financially. 14 bridges have either collapsed or are now unusable, and about 1,500 miles of road were closed at peak flooding, which caused immense traffic congestion. Now that some of the flood waters have receded, only 500 miles of road is closed, of which 200 miles needs repaired. 

Local Platteview students and faculty alike have also faced the consequences of the flood. Sam Engel (10) was displaced from his home because of the recent flooding. Luckily, his family has not experienced any effects that are too severe for them to handle: “Things aren’t really as bad for me personally because I didn’t lose anything,” Sam commented, “the only thing that the displacement affected is my routine.” However, their basement did flood a significant amount: “My grandma lives in the basement and just about everything got wet. We got about two feet of water … the power companies are shutting off all power to our neighborhood to prevent outlets from shorting … and other hazards. I heard that as of Monday they aren’t turning any [power] on for another two weeks”. The Engel family is unharmed and currently residing in a safe location. This situation is difficult, but Sam recognizes that not much can be done about it. “It’s definitely not a good situation,” he said, “but all we can do is hang back and let it recede.” 

A family gathered in prayer for the families affected by the flood. Quiet murmurs of hope and safety were heard throughout the days spent helping those in need.

Not only the high school has been helping flood victims, though. The whole community has stepped up, with gift cards, monetary donations, and even supplying their own homes as a refuge for the homeless. During Monday night’s (March 18th, 2019) Platteview Central Junior High Concert, parents and students rose to the call, donating $4,326.95 in three minutes. Retired teacher Lois Rieschick dropped off a truckload of supplies and $500 more. Anyone is more than welcome to help support the cause by donating gift cards, money, or supplies to the main office.  

Surrounding communities are also working together to help their fellow Nebraskans through this difficult time. For example, Gretna Baptist Church became a drop off sight for donations, such as: food, water, clothes, hygiene products, and much more. The church opened up the building to victims of the floods and let them take any goods/products they needed. Their efforts started by making peanut butter sandwiches for the first responders to the floods in Ashland. As time passed and conditions became worse, this small church and a retail store named the Dragon’s Closet decided that they could do more for the community if they joined forces.

Retired PHS teacher Lois Aries dropped off a truckload of supplies and a 50p dollar check,
Justice, “she’s super nice, and she might be back [the next day].”
Concerning the actions the school has been taking, Mr. Ron Alexander – Platteview’s principal- explained: “We have established a system for gathering supplies and now we are making plans of how to get needs addressed. We are starting with focusing on students first – what do our students need to be able to get back to school (i.e. supplies, their iPads were lost, and maybe clothes and food). We have to solve the basic needs first. We have had several families come in and take basic supplies, but I do not have a list of what was taken as there were such a variety of supplies donated.” As our community and state work to overcome this setback, Platteview High School helps to speed this process up.