Platteview Students and Veteran Honored at VFW Dinner

Voice of Democracy winners Brianna Miller (11), Dylan Conover (10), and Allison Kuhl (11) stand with English teacher Mrs. Janda after the dinner and announcement of the awards.

Grace Hartley, Staff Writer

Voice of Democracy is an essay competition that inspires students to express their views on patriotism and perfect their writing skills through writing and recording a speech. Each year, Platteview proudly participates in this competition. This year’s essay topic was “What Makes America Great”, and the audio recordings of the essays were due October 31, 2019. Three students from Platteview High School, Dylan Conover (10), Brianna Miller (11), and Allison Kuhl (11), had their essays selected to compete in more than just the entry level. They were also invited to attend a dinner hosted by the local VFW post 9558. At the dinner, the students received awards for their essays. Allison Kuhl won third place in the post division, Brianna Miller received second in the post division, and first place of the post division was awarded to Dylan Conover.

Samuel Verdoni (8th grade), a student at Platteview Central, received an award as well. He participated in a similar competition called Patriot’s Pen, which is open to students in middle school. Verdoni’s essay continued to the district level in which he won first place. Verdoni also received first place at the state level.

Mr. Jim Jensen, accompanied by his family, poses for a photo while holding his Quilt of Valor. He received this gift for his dedicated service to his country and community.

Another key moment of the dinner was the presenting of a Quilt of Valor to Jim Jenson. Mr. Jensen served in the Air Force and was a civilian government worker. Even after retiring, he continues to serve the nation and community through extensive volunteer service. He is involved in the VFW, American Legion, and Platteview High school’s Veteran’s Day Program. Mr. Jenson’s past service to this country, including fighting in the Vietnam War, and his continual dedication to volunteering prove him deserving of a Quilt of Valor. Each quilt is unique and special to each veteran who receives one. These quilts are created to provide comfort to the many veterans of the United States who have given their time in continual service. The event provided a beautiful picture as a veteran was thanked for his life service and young students were inspired to continue their patriotism.

Below are the following students’ winning essays.

Dylan Conover: The American Dream

The skirmish at the Old North Bridge during the Battle of Concord and Lexington was more than a battle of muskets and men- it was the vision of American principals vying for freedom against tyranny. Since then, our nation has shown forth as a beacon to the free world, assembling a reputation for new possibilities that has eclipsed all other nations. The most apparent reasons of our national success are our rigorous economy; the economy, in turn, has been spurned by a driven population all striving to achieve one main thing: the American Dream. The concept of the “American Dream” is why America is the leader of the free world; it is what has made this nation so successful, and it is what inspires hope for the future; thus, it is the American Dream that has made America truly great.

Our role as leader of the free world began in the aftermath of the Seven Years’ War. The relentless taxes and demands of King George III served as a wake-up call for the colonies to rise up and defend the rights that they had enjoyed since the formation of the House of Burgesses in 1619. In perhaps the greatest hallmark of true American bravery and one of the biggest ‘upsets’ of all time, a group of farmers and backwoods frontiersmen held off the most powerful military in the world. Harkening to Thomas Jefferson’s call in the Declaration of Independence, “That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it,” Americans rose up to defend their rights, dreams, and future. The result of the Revolutionary War was the subsequent creation of the United States of America- and our legacy began.

It was in pursuit of the concept of the American Dream- equal opportunity for all- that characterized the new nation. Thanks to our style of government, the American economy, which had suffered after the Revolutionary War, rebounded back to realize massive profits. The consequential strength of our economy made the American Dream more than a fantasy: it was within the public’s grasp. Expansion west built up the increasingly larger Union, while Yankee traders, Southern cotton, and American ingenuity spread over the globe.

Due to our robust economy, the US was able to awaken the world from its slumber. The template we set gave other revolutionaries hope for their own freedom; consequently, more revolutions began over the world. Later, in the 20th century, America was an “Arsenal of Democracy,” helping to resolve WW1, turn the tide of WW2, defend Korea, and harbor the biggest technological revolution the world has ever seen. That role has continued into this century: we continue to respond to breaches of democracy world wide with power and urgency. As our nation has been led by imperfect people, it has also been imperfect in its actions; yet she has been unparalleled in her defense of freedom. The example of the United States in challenging the old governmental paradigm is one of the most influential factors in the state of the world today.

Over 243 years after the Declaration of Independence was approved by Congress, the United States has been the pinnacle of success. Because of our American values, we have attracted tens of thousands of immigrants to our shores. There are innumerable men and women who have not only found a better future in our land, but have also made the nation itself better. People like
Albert Einstein, Sergey Brin, Jerry Yang, Joseph Pulitzer, Irving Berlin, Nikola Tesla, Andrew Carnegie, and Alexander Hamilton. All of them migrated to America at some point- either their parents or themselves captivated by the American Dream.
Our enterprise has not only been an example to the world, but it also inspires our citizens. Here, there is a reason to wake up and work hard, as every day brings one closer and closer to living the dream. In Benjamin Franklin’s widely published Poor Richard’s Almanac, Franklin admonishes the early Americans: “All things are easy to industry, all things difficult to sloth”(#28). The concept of reaping what one sows is a fundamental American principal, and oneof the defining features of the American Dream. It is because of American idealism and faith in hard work that we have become the economic giant we are today. Finally, the American Dream is what gives us hope for the future. The challenges ahead, whether from national security, technology, turmoil, or an increasingly chaotic world, can cause one to fear for the future. Yet American ingenuity, freedom, and world-changing aptitude will ensure the safety of future generations. The desire to make the world a better place, intertwinedwith the American idealism found in the American Dream, will secure hope for the future.American exceptionalism has defined our nation for its entire existence. One of our most important variables to our national uniqueness is the American Dream. The American Dream has allowed the US to be a land of opportunities and the home of the free. This national success, combined with our role as leader of the free world and our role in creating hope for the future, immortalized in the American Dream, is what makes America great. At first, the sound of the retreating hordes of redcoats from Concord sounded like gunshots and yells; yet rising from the chaos was the unmistakable sound of freedom, a dream come true.

Brianna Miller

Imagine living in a place where people were told who and what they had to be their entire life. Where speaking out or having an opinion would land you time behind bars. Where worship or belief could be punishable by death. Where there was no option for citizens to criticize or to vote on the government that leads them. A place where people were constantly under attack, without anybody to stand up for what’s right. We the people often forget to have an appreciation for not having to deal with those issues, which citizens of other countries have to bear on a regular basis. Without the foundation that our country was built upon, and the people that ensure that we maintain the freedoms of our country, America could not be as great as it is today.

Voting is one example of a right that citizens have, but don’t often think of as anything more than ordinary. There are still countries-very few, however- that don’t allow their citizens to vote. Voting lets the people decide what they think will most benefit their country, and gives an opportunity to have their voices heard. Just one person giving their general and unrestrained input on a topic can make a difference. Another factor that makes America so unique is the freedom for people to express themselves. Whether it be through appearance, entertainment, religion, love, or culture everyone is able to make personal decisions to do what they feel is best, express themselves how they’d like, and live in the pursuit of happiness.

What makes all of the freedoms we have today possible, are the citizens that choose to make the protection of this country their pursuit of happiness, and are what continue to bring greatness to our nation. Some dedicate their lives to maintaining the freedoms of America by fighting overseas and serving decades in the military. Others cannot serve, or chose not to, but continue to find other ways to contribute to their country, such as educating and inspiring youth about the history of America. My father, like his father, and his grandfather before that, all served in the military for large portions of their lives. My great grandfather fought in WWII, my grandfather had fought in Vietnam, and my father was a part of Operation Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom. My father is now retired, but I can remember the days in my childhood where he was deployed. The house felt empty without him there, but it was comforting knowing that after fighting to keep our country safe, he would return. Picking him up from the airport with “welcome home” signs was also something I looked forward to.

All citizens of America have a duty to have an appreciation for our country. However the form people choose to convey that appreciation is up to them, but to show loud pride and support for this country does not go unnoticed, nor should it be something to shy away from. Patriotism can be seen anywhere from a star spangled flag waving on a front porch, to supporting veterans, to someone exercising their right to vote. What keeps the presence of patriotism and strong morale of our nation going is the process of passing on the knowledge of the past- of the foundation that we were all built upon- to the youth of the present- the future of this nation.

When the United States was first formed, it was founded on the principles of freedom and independence. Our forefathers had those principals in mind when creating the Bill of Rights, Constitution, and early legal and governmental systems. These ideas of independence are still present today, but a country that has gone through advances in technology, economy, military, and more, for over 243 years of existing, is bound to have made improvements and adjustments. Perhaps the reason our country is so different than others is because of the purpose of its foundation. Our early American citizens were people who wanted to break free and be independent- to follow their pursuit of happiness without unfair treatment.

Likewise, it’s the people that reside here that make America so great. Every single person has unique thoughts, an opinion that should be taken into account, and an identity of their own; everybody can bring something to the metaphorical table. One individual’s criticism or creativity can lead to improvement, growth, businesses, and advancements that haven’t been achieved yet. Similarly, Americans gather strong together in times of crisis. When the place that we call home is in trouble, whether it be from a serious incident or a natural disaster, people work together to help each other survive, and help fight when necessary. Abraham Lincoln once said, “America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.” There’s an undying spirit in the hearts of Americans that would be willing to defend their nation to the end.

America is not a place where people are told who and what they have to be their entire life. Here, speaking out lets other people know what it’s like from another’s perspective. Here, worship or belief is common, and many people find joy in practicing a certain faith. Criticism from citizens on the government can lead to future improvement, and voting helps citizens be represented by an electee to help voice their opinions. When under attack, citizens will give their all to fight back and defend those who can’t. We live in a nation based off of the pursuit of happiness and the idea of independence. We the people live in a nation full of modern heroes and bright minds that will improve the future. The future of our country lies within the efforts of the past, and the victories of today.

Allison Kuhl: America is Great: Voice of Democracy Essay

Throughout American history, people have made their mark by helping and influencing others everywhere. Many of them were common, everyday people, but had the courage to make a difference. The United States of America has embraced adversity in order to continuously make us better versions of ourselves. Many people have helped to combat slavery, promote women
empowerment, and inspire people to be unique. The people who have sacrificed their life for the overall well-being of the United States, are what who make America great.

During the 1700s, the colonies were controlled by Britain. Our Founding Fathers saw the opportunity to create a better life, so they took it. The idea of freedom united the colonies, and we came together to make a better life for ourselves. Our Founding Fathers had such pride for the colonies, they knew that every second, tear, bullet, life, and sacrifice would be worth it. They knew we, the past, present, and future Americans, would be worth it. Their courage and perseverance is an inspiration for all, and better yet, sets an example of who we are. Because of our Founding Fathers, we can try to navigate our future because they have taught us where we’ve been. America is great, because our Founding Fathers risked their livelihood for our freedom.

From 1850 to 1860, Harriet Tubman saved over 300 people, making 19 trips, and never losing a passenger. She did all this all while having a bounty of $40,000. As a young slave, she was scarred both physically and emotionally for life. When another slave tried to run away, an overseer grabbed a heavy iron weight, and tried to throw it at him. However, Harriet intentionally got in the way, so that the weight missed him and hit her instead. The iron nearly crushed her skull, and consequently she suffered from seizures the rest of her life. This traumatic event influenced her to fight for those who couldn’t. As an adult she became not only a conductor for the Underground Railroad, but she also became a nurse, a union spy, and a women’s suffrage supporter. She stated, “I would fight for my liberty so long as my strength lasted, and if the time came for me to go, the Lord would let them take me.” America is great, because Harriet Tubman saved those who couldn’t save themselves.

In March of 1861, Abraham Lincoln was elected to become our sixteenth president. Abraham Lincoln issued the emancipation proclamation, and led the union to victory during the civil war. When the Emancipation Proclamation was issued during the civil war, it allowed black soldiers to fight for the Union against the Confederacy. The Union had already been outnumbering the Confederacy about 22 million to 9 million, and the additional backing of slaves gave the North even more of an advantage. This was also the beginning of the Thirteenth Amendment, which made slavery and indentured slaves illegal in the United States. Lincoln said, “That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom, and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.” He was determined not to let the civil war tear the United States of America apart. America is great, because Abraham Lincoln’s leadership kept us united.

May, 1932, Amelia Earhart became the first woman, and second person ever to fly solo over the Atlantic Ocean. She was highly respected by fellow pilots and aviation enthusiasts. She was fearless and highly respected for her independence. Amelia said, “Never do things others can do and will do, if there are things others cannot do or will not do.” Women, who especially did not have as many career choices during this time, saw her bravery and determination and were encouraged to support the Equal Rights Amendment and pursue new careers. She felt she had proven that women were equally had qualified to have jobs requiring, “intelligence, coordination, speed, coolness and willpower.” Her actions showed women that they could pursue their dreams. America is great, because Amelia Earhart inspired women to be venturous.

In the 1950s, nearly a decade after slavery had been abolished, African Americans continued to face discrimination and resentment. Martin Luther King Jr. was one of the first to confront and question societal norms. He said, “No one really knows why they are alive until they know what they’d die for.” He was resilient and did just that. Martin Luther King Jr
believed everyone deserved the opportunity of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. He fought for a cause that was worth dying for; equality. His bravery and unwillingness to be persecuted, kickstarted the civil rights movement. This movement made people begin to question the reason for racial inequality. America is great, because Martin Luther King Jr. wasn’t afraid to fight for justice.

Influencers across generations have stood up and fought for what is right. Most of the men and women who have helped tackle freedom, slavery, and inequality, were everyday people. But they had the determination and will to fight for a better life. Because of our leaders from the past, we can use their experiences to help guide us forward. America is great, because people have risked and sacrificed themselves for the benefit of our future.