Teachers Share E-Learning Advice for Students

Senior Sylvia Dierking highlights upcoming Zoom meetings in her planner. Teachers recommend that students find a method for keeping track of homework assignments and Zoom meetings.

Sylvia Dierking, Editor-in-Chief

With the first full week of e-learning at a close, students are adjusting to the pacing and self-motivation required to complete class work. To aid in the adjustment, teachers in each core subject area shared their advice for students.

Mr. Dostal, Math

General Advice: “My best advice would be to stay organized.  Find a planner, Google Calendar, app, etc where you can map out your week and include due dates.  Teachers are doing their best to provide you with a schedule for the week–your task is to compile all of your subject schedules into a master schedule!  If you can collect all of the pertinent information in one spot, you can determine how to best delegate your time.  Some students might prefer to devote longer blocks of time to one subject and finish that entire week’s worth of tasks in one day.  Others may feel more comfortable doing 30-45 minutes of each subject each day.  Try out either approach and see what works best for you–just make sure you keep referencing your master schedule so you don’t miss any important deadlines.”

Subject-Specific Advice: “My advice for math specifically, would be to seek out your teachers when you feel unsure about concepts.  We are here to help!  With math, especially, the content builds upon itself and falling behind can be even harder to recover from when in an E-learning setting.  Also don’t be afraid to use outside resources.  When in doubt, Google or Youtube it!  There are lots of resources available to you and sometimes another voice explaining the topic is all you need!  Good luck!”

Mrs. Falch, English

“My advice to students would be to figure out an organizational system to keep track of when homework is due and when Zoom sessions are.  Maybe it’s a list.  Maybe it’s a spreadsheet.  Maybe use Google Calendar.  I would also advise students to make use of Zoom sessions and to ask teachers if you have a question, either in the Zoom sessions or through email.  We won’t know if students are confused or need more help if they don’t let us know!”

Mr. Dutcher, Science

“-Stay organized, make sure you know what your goals/tasks are for each day/week.

-Work in small chunks – you don’t have to do all of your work on Monday morning, take your time.

-Ask Questions!  Your teachers are more than willing to help you out.”

Mr. Comine, Social Studies

General Advice: “Time management is critical–set a daily schedule to work on things–They should use some . . .  type of planner-I know a lot of kids still were doing that in traditional school.”

“Try and prioritize your different classes—figure out which assignments are going to take the most time and proceed accordingly.”

Subject-Specific Advice: “While reading is always important in Social Studies–I would say it is even more crucial in E-Learning because they are not going to get the day to day with myself, Mr. Lundeen, Mr. Schlieman, or Mrs. Speth.”