Trojan Voice: Seniors Look Back and Freshman Look Forward

Senior Jace Mahoney cheers during the state volleyball tournament. Through Mahoney’s experience at Platteview, he said, “I have learned that [it] is okay to be interested in a lot. It’s okay to be in more than just sports. I also learned to be nice to every single person I interact with because of the community I’ve grown with.”

Grace Hartley and Sylvia Dierking

With the first month of second semester almost gone, the freshmen have adjusted to life as high school students, and seniors are preparing to graduate. Below are interviews with freshman students about their high school experience so far and what they are looking forward to during their time at Platteview. Following the freshman interviews are interviews with seniors. The students discuss how they plan to enjoy their last months as high school students and look back on their favorite memories.

Freshman Kyle Marsden plays trumpet during the football game against Ashland. Through his high school experience so far, Marsden says, “I have learned that high school goes very smoothly and isn’t as rough as I first presumed. Balancing the homework and the activities are not as difficult as I thought as well.”

Interview with Freshman Kyle Marsden

Q: What have you learned so far about how high school works? (New study habits, balancing activities and homework, etc.) 

A: I have learned that high school goes very smoothly and isn’t as rough as I first presumed. Balancing the homework and the activities are not as difficult as I thought as well.

Q: What are your likes and dislikes about high school?

A: I like the teachers and the students. But I sometimes dislike the 4 minutes in between classes as sometimes people can’t make it in time and are forced to go to the kiosk.

Q: What did you think high school would be like vs what is it actually like based on your first semester? 

A: I thought high school would be difficult but it’s actually very simple as long as you do your work and don’t slack off.

Q: What is your favorite memory so far? 

A: My favorite memory is probably homecoming as it was time where I could laugh and just talk with friends.

Q: What are you looking forward to for the rest of high school?

A: I’m looking forward to mostly the same things as I did my freshman year.

Freshman Claire Peoples adjusts her sheet music during the Jazz Band’s performance for the winter concert. Peoples’s favorite High School memories are currently “spending time with my teammates in my sports and activities, especially on competition days.”

Interview with Freshman Claire Peoples

A: So far I have learned how to balance homework with doing school activities and sports (figuring out how to do homework when I leave for school at 6:30 am and don’t get home til 9 pm most nights).

A: I like having the ability to choose more personal classes, but I miss getting to see all of my classmates every day.

A: I think I expected high school to be a lot more “cut-throat” and intense, but it’s really not. From what I see, most high schoolers are just trying to get high school over with, and mind their own business.

Q: What is your favorite memory so far? 

A: So far, my favorite memories have been spending time with my teammates in my sports and activities, especially on competition days.

A: In the next few years, I look forward to applying for an internship and hopefully bringing more attention to the sports and activities I love.

Interview with Senior Jace Mahoney

Q: Looking back at your high school experience, what is your favorite memory?

A: Looking back throughout my four years, my favorite memory is when I scored a touchdown during my senior game of football. Having all my teammates hug me, the whole sideline jumping, and the whole crowd screaming, there’s nothing better than that. I will take the memory to my grave.

Q: What are you doing or will you do to enjoy your last semester of high school?

A: To enjoy my last semester I would love to finish out strong, involve myself in every activity, and enjoy my last semester with the people I’ve grown up with. I do not want to regret anything from my senior year, and cherish every second I have.

Q: What will you miss about high school? What will you not miss?

A: I am going to miss to community of Platteview High School. Every single parent, staff member, and student. There is no other community like it, and when I came to this school I realized that. I am not going to miss those school lunches or the large amount of homework.

Q: What have your favorite classes been? Why?

A: My favorite classes have been my Math, English, and Spanish classes. All the teachers have such a fun way of teaching and they make me so interested in them. I know I can walk into these classes and enjoy my day.

Q: Have you learned any life lessons through your high school experience (through academics, athletics, extracurriculars, etc.)?

A: Throughout my high school career I have learned that is okay to be interested in a lot. It’s okay to be in more then just sports. I also learned to be nice to every single person I interact with because of the community I’ve grown with. I’ll never forget all things that have made me the person I am today.

Senior Pruett Newton visited the KETV-7 news station through an opportunity as a member of FBLA. Newton will enjoy her last semester of high school by spending time with friends. She said, “I will hang out with as many friends as I can.”

Interview with Senior Pruett Newton

A: My favorite memory was going on the San Antonio band trip my freshman year. The band played at the Alamo and we also visited the Dallas Cowboys stadium. My favorite part of the trip was Medieval Times where I ate an entire half of a chicken while watching two men sword fight on horses.

A: I will hang out with as many friends as I can. Leaving high school my friends and I will say we will keep in touch, but I know that is not always the case. I just want to enjoy my last semester in high school being a kid.

A: I will miss my friends that I have built up since I came to Westmont in 4th grade. I will also miss some of the classes I took because they were either interesting or had good conversations with friends. I will not miss having a full seven hour school day to only turn around afterwards and spend time with work, club, or homework.

A: My favorite classes have been Publications because I love to write articles about events that happen at school. I feel like I am behind the scenes of something important like yearbook. English classes with Dr. Kersulov have always been my favorite because he gives every task a purpose. I love the conversations that are had whether it’s a story time or something interestingly complex with our reading. I love that I can express myself freely in my essays and in the classroom.

A: I have learned to be who I am without feeling bad about it. I used to be a very shy kid, but throughout high school I have learned to come out of my “shell”. I have learned to be more vocal and be an active member within the classroom or in the school community. I learned that it is okay to not fit into one friend group. It is tough to for me to squeeze to fit into one type of friend group. It is okay to have multiple types of friends because I learned so many life lessons and have gained so many memorable moments with them. I have laughed with friends and cried with friends. I learned that, in order to be me, I cannot shape myself into one single friend group, but to branch out and let my own original personality shine.