Trojans Take to the Track

Christina Elder

Jacque McCullough, Anna Koehler, Abby Husing, and Carrie Simmonson celebrate finishing the 4×100 meter relay.

Katelyn Grubb, Staff Writer

Platteview High School’s Girls Track Team has had great success so far as they are nearing the end of the 2017-2018 season. Coach Christina Elder and her team attended their last Varsity Invitational at Arlington High School on May 4th, 2018. The Trojan athletes plan to compete at the Varsity District Meet on May 10th, 2018. The season will then wrap up after the Varsity State Meet on May 19th, 2018.

Many female student athletes broke school records with their performance this season. Madison Nash, a sophomore, set a class record with her 3200 meter run. Junior Teri Zanker set a class record with her 300 meter hurdle; fellow classmate Carrie Simonson also set a Junior class record with her triple jump. Simonson and her fellow relay teammates Jacque McCullough, Anna Koehler, and Abby Husing also broke the Conference Meet 4×100 meter relay record.

Christina Elder

In addition to the 4×100 meter relay, Simonson also participates in the 100 meter dash and 200 meter dash. “I [chose] these events because they fit me very well and I succeed in them all. I love track season because many of my friends do track so I get to hang with them all day during meets,” said Simonson. She encourages anyone who is interested to join the team next year: “Track is very fun and the coaches are amazing and very understanding.”

Christina Elder
PHS track rest at the meet.

Jacque McCullough, a junior, also participates in the 4×100 meter relay, as well as the long jump, 200 meter dash, and 4×400 meter relay. McCullough says she enjoys these events because they are fast paced, and participating in the relays with her team is always so much fun, noting, “One of the highlights of my season is the 4×100 meter relay. We are very close to breaking our school record and plan to do so this year or next year. Before every relay, my team and I pray for a good race and for strength.” McCullough also offered some advice of her own to students who plan to join the track team: “Drink a lot of water, give your best effort in practice, and remember that running in high school is a life time experience you’ll never forget.”

Congratulations to the girls track team for such an amazing season. Good luck at Districts!