Platteview Trojans: Welcome Back!

Mrs. Jennings, Mrs. Hartwig, Mrs. Janda, and Mrs. Gufstason posed in their Be Kind shirts on the first day of school.

Kaitlyn Klimek

Alyssa Riha and Katie Harder

Students clustered inside of Platteview High School on August 15th, 2018 after three months of summer break, their bustling bodies filled the empty school with exciting energy. As friends reunited and chatted about the upcoming day, the first bell of the year rung and sent everyone off to class with new class schedules, new teachers, and new expectations.

The overall dynamic of the day was increasingly positive, even though some students complained about getting up so early. “I couldn’t wait to see all my friends again, and I felt comfortable in all my new classes,” Amber

Principal Mr. Alexander and Platteview Superintendent Brett Richards supervised the parking lot the morning of August 15th.

Heidrick, a senior this year, mentions. For freshman, the general consensus was similar. Ella Ferguson said, “I’m really excited about my biology class!”

As for the rest of the day, students engaged in new classes, syllabi, and an assembly referencing the new Be Kind initiative here at Platteview. The speakers, Mark and Joni Adler, told their story about their son, who would have started his senior year at Ralston High School. Students were moved and, by the end, the speakers were met with a standing ovation and kind words.

Secretary at Platteview, Andrea Nowka, had this to say for the rest of the year to come: “I hope that our students choose to make this a great year. My [goal] is that everyone feels welcome and has at least 2 staff members that they feel comfortable enough with to go to for help regarding any matter.” As the first day ended, students were looking forward to new experiences and a new year.