The Justice System Hits Platteview High School

The Platteview mock trial team from 2017 at their second competition. It was their first win of the season. From left to right: Khyenne Cottrell, Louden Ferguson, Alyssa Riha, (Graduate) Katie Santee, John Kinney, and Elise Lutz.

Alyssa Riha, Author

All television judges famously bang their gavel and shout, “Order in the court!” Many debate its truth, but there is only one way to find out if this is what happens in a courtroom: to attend the upcoming mock trial meeting on Wednesday, September 5th, 2018 at 3:30-4:15 PM. The informational meeting will take place in Mr. Jenson’s classroom. It will discuss the new case written by the Nebraska State Bar Foundation and what one will be involved in by joining the activity.

Nancy Diekmann, a former teacher at Platteview High School, is the organizer of mock trial. She originally started the team with Judge Micheal Smith 30 years ago, and she still runs it to this day. She described, “Mock trial is a program designed to introduce high school students to the workings of the law in our country.  It teaches terminology, court room decorum, and both civil and criminal law. Students learn to think and to plan strategy. Students also learn to speak in public and to listen.”

Elise Lutz, a current senior here at Platteview, is going into her 4th consecutive year of mock trial. She said, “I love the people I work with in mock trial and I also love learning to look at things from a different angle and connect the pieces of a giant puzzle.”

A newcomer to mock trial last year John Kinney mentioned, “Anyone who is looking to meet people and make some friends [should join]. This process is one of my favorite journeys of the year.” He continued, “Seriously, come and join!”

Mock trial is held only once a week on Wednesday’s after school, making it easy for busy students to join another interesting and fun activity. To learn more, meet in Mr. Jenson’s room on September 5th, 2018 after school.