Platteview Show Choir Takes To The Stage

Junior Eli Stewart and freshman Ashton Lagasse watched another school preform their show choir routine.

Katelyn Grubb, Senior Editor

After weeks of early morning singing and late night choreography practices, the Platteview Show Choir preformed their first performance at the Peru State College Show Choir Festival on October 24th, 2018. The select group of high school dancers and singers came together in Platteview’s Show Choir, showcasing songs that follow the theme of “Hero.” The show features a total of six songs including pieces such as: “Be The Hero,” from the musical Big Fish; “You’re Welcome,” from the Disney movie Moana; and “Someone in the Crowd,” from the film Lala Land.

Director Matt King leads the group of 24 students, along with accompanist Jennifer Harrison and choreographer Elizabeth King. “Our group this year has a lot of potential. My goal for us is to be willing to work toward that potential every day,” said director Matt King. “[At competitions, we can] learn a lot from the judges’ comments. Sometimes the judges’ comments just reinforce what we work at every practice and other times the comments are new ideas which can stretch us. It is also interesting and fun to watch the other show choirs perform. Every group is different and we benefit from and learn from the other groups by seeing and hearing them.”

The group’s next performance will be at the Platteview Fall Concert on November 1st, 2018. Good luck to the Show Choir for their upcoming season!