Construction Class Builds Community

Platteview students worked together to construct a building for the community.

Dylan Conover, Staff Writer

From September to the end of the semester, Platteview High School Construction Technology students have been building a detached 2 car garage in Springfield. The garage is 24 by 28 feet and “constructed just as a house would have been,” said project manager and class teacher Michael Bos. “Our school has allowed us to build off site for our Construction Technology class,” Mr. Bos said, “This allows us to get involved in improving the community, and take on large scale, real life experiences that closely simulate the construction of a house.”

The project includes materials donated from the “Builders of the Future” program, and a partnership with the Metro Omaha Builders Association helps to streamline the build. In January, the class plans on doing some flooring and building sheds as practice for the SkillsUSA Team. “In the past we have finished basements, built garden sheds, and this 2 car detached garage is our largest project to date,” said Mr. Bos. “We already have another garage lined up for next Fall. We are available to complete Garages, sheds, decks, finish basements, hardwood flooring, Interior Trim. Typically anything related to the Construction Industry.

These opportunities give students a chance to prepare for real-world situations. Building with quality materials- like Tyvek, ABC supply co shingles, and more- and building a variety of projects which “provides a great, real world learning experience for the students,” said Mr. Bos. The class even has another garage lined up for next fall, and are available to complete garages, sheds, decks, finish basements, hardwood flooring, and do interior trim.

Crew Leaders Cody Sheldahl and Jake Nelson have led the project from its start, with advice from local home builder Alan Hans “to help us get the best and up to date learning experiences every year,” said Mr. Bos. The garage is being built as a service, the only costs coming from materials. Videos and more information is available at the class’s Twitter page, @PHSshop.