New Year, New Semester: Second Semester Update

The T.A.C. program provides additional opportunities and support for students who may be struggling.

Megan Baier, Staff Writer

As the 2019 New Year began, so did a new semester here at Platteview. The new semester comes with a couple changes. New staff members have been introduced, including a new student teacher in the English department Mrs. Skiles and Mrs. Fisher in Study Hall.

Along with the new staff members, there are a couple classes that were added or are now available for the second semester. Military History, taught by Mr. Soneson, is brand new to Platteview this year. The classes that are exclusive to the second semester of the school year include: Drawing, Painting, Management & Leadership, Business Law, Digital Media, Foods 2, Foods 3, Family Relationships, Info Tech 2, Environmental Science 2, Publications 2, and AP Psychology.

The T.A.C. program was also recently introduced to provide opportunities to students to recover credits for classes they may have failed. Some ways students can achieve this are by taking online classes or completing assessments to demonstrate proficiency of the material they missed. “We hope that by recovering credits through T.A.C., students will have more openings in their schedule their junior and senior years to further explore their career choices through apprenticeship programs, internships, or college courses,” said Mrs. Speth. The T.A.C. program provides opportunities to students who work at different paces.