Trojans Prepare for Triumph

Senior Tobius Nixon weaves a gap in the line created by fellow senior Jace Mahoney. Tobius rushed for two touchdowns in the game; Jace and the line helped to make that all possible.

Dylan Conover, Staff Writer

After beating Lincoln Christian 30-29 in a nail biting double overtime game and putting up a valiant defense against Ashland-Greenwood last Friday, September 6, Platteview football is looking to avenge its loss with a Homecoming victory against Nebraska City. New Head Coach Mark McLaughlin has been instrumental in building this year’s football team, complementing his staff, including assistant coaches Gary Wood, Brooks Erhart, David Jennings, Adam Kuhl, Nick Smith, and Jason Bald, with Adam Larson and Steve Lundeen keeping track of team stats.

The football season started in fantastic fashion, as the team ended the first game stupendously with a touchdown by Tobius Nixon and Anthony Fuccio nailed an extra point. Trojans ran for 327 and passed for 63 yards, with Jed Christensen amassing 220 rushing yards, two touchdowns, and a two-point conversion. Tobius Nixon also rushed for two touchdowns, a two-point conversion, and 76 yards; teammate Ben Kreifels caught a 42-yard pass from Cade Demro. On defense, Tanner Millikan totaled 15 tackles and assists, Jacob Rehbein recovered a fumble, and Paxton Swanson blocked a field goal, among other highlights. Paxton Swanson was also selected as the overall Platteview Football Player of the Game, saying it’s “just having the mentality that you are better than the guy across from you and just competing [with him].”

Platteview Football players huddle around Coach Mark McLaughlin before their game against Ashland-Greenwood on September 6, 2019.

Last Friday, September 9th, was a trial by fire for Platteview, a game sophomore Anthony Scala described as “disappointing”. The first quarter caught Platteview vastly unprepared against the ranked team(10th in the state), led by their senior quarterback Hunter Washburn. Those early setbacks included a safety and a kickoff return touchdown. Platteview turned the game around in the second quarter, holding Ashland scoreless through the second and third quarters. Ashland did score late in the fourth, but Platteview redeemed themselves with a touchdown with one minute left in the game. Jed Christensen again led the offense with 130 yards and one touchdown, followed by Tobius Nixon with 50 yards. Tanner Millikan had eight total tackles, followed by Jace Mahoney and James Schulze, who each had seven. Ben Kreifels also caught an interception and Jacob Rehebein tallied a sack. This Friday, September 13, the football team is prepared to avenge their loss with a homecoming win against Nebraska City, hoping to channel their emotions and excitement into a victory.