PHS and Community Show their Support for Veterans

Back to Article
Back to Article

Seventh grader Cassie Coenen places a rose near the bust of fallen Marine Staff Sergeant Michael A. Bock during the Veteran’s Day Program held at Platteview High School on November 11, 2019. The memorial will be housed in Platteview Central’s Media Center.

Lauren Becerra, Staff Writer

Every year, Platteview High School (PHS) holds a Veteran’s Day Program during the school day to celebrate America’s present, retired, and fallen military service members. For the past 17 years PHS has held this ceremony at the school to honor veteran’s from around the community and across the country. The program has been recognized multiple times by various media coverages in Nebraska, South Dakota, and Iowa. Platteview’s Veteran’s Day program was originally held in the evening on Veteran’s Day, but former Principal Scott Shepard vouched for it to be during the school day so that students and staff could properly celebrate the holiday.

This year, two special services were presented during the program. Major Jim Jenson was presented with an award for being a key spokesperson and organizer of the event for many years. Mr. Jenson’s achievement is going to be put on display within PHS. Also, a memorial for Staff Sergeant Michael A. Bock—a former Platteview Central student who lost his life while on tour for the Marine Corp—will be on display within Platteview Central Junior High School’s media center. It serves as a constant reminder that to serve and die for our country is a major sacrifice, one military personnel made for the liberties we hold today.

This year’s program was full of sponsors from the metro area and involved organizations including Omaha Pipes & Drums and the Springfield American Legion Post 143. Some school districts in America receive Veteran’s Day off and some attend school as normal, but Platteview brings the community, administration, and ALL (elementary, junior high, and high School) students together for a few hours of the day to commemorate our heroes. 

Omaha Pipes and Drums plays a patriotic song to begin the Veteran’s Day Program at Platteview. They were one of several groups who performed in order to show their appreciation to veterans in attendance.

Platteview’s Principal, Mr. Alexander, speaks to all in attendance at the beginning of the Veteran’s Day Program.

Platteview High School students put their hands on their hearts to show loyalty to our country while the choir sings “The Star-Spangled Banner.”

Major Jim Jenson received an award for his dedication to the Veteran’s Day Program throughout the years of its existence. The award will be displayed in Platteview High School.