Trojan eSports: a New Step into Future Activities

Sophomores Tate Muff and Jackson Plueger prepared for a JV League of Legends scrimmage against Gretna. The team lost the scrimmage, but they’re still looking forward to playing against Gretna during the season.

Jacob Beier, Staff Writer

New to Platteview this year is the Trojan eSports team. There are two parts of the team: The League of Legends teams and the Super Smash Bros. Ultimate players. They are part of the Nebraska Schools eSports Association (NSESA) and began competing in league play at the end of January. The League of Legends team won their first match against Elm Creek, while Super Smash Bros. Ultimate team #1 went 2-1 against Grand Island Northwest, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate team #2 went 0-3 against Grand Island Northwest.

For many people, eSports is somewhat of a dream come true. Chase Wienk, part of both the Super Smash Bros Ultimate team and the League of Legends team, said “I’m feeling okay about upcoming matches… I truly enjoy organized esports.”

Nathan Edwards, part of the League of Legends team, is very hopeful for the new season: “Our team is looking fairly good in scrims.” Edwards is also excited to finally join organized esports. He stated, “Its been something I’ve wanted to do for a while, in fact, ever since I got into Rocket League in 2016, I’ve been wanting to compete. Its amazing to finally have that chance.”

The eSports teams compete each Tuesday and are gearing up for a Super Smash Bros. Ultimate tournament in the spring.