On Course to State

Isabel Clarke, Staff Writer

The Platteview Cross County Team has been running hard, accomplishing much early in the season. From having the freshman boys’ record crushed by Aaron Rasler (9) to Olivia Lawrence (9) smashing the freshmen girls’ record, team members are putting their names in the books. 

The Cross Country Team is an intimate group. “I love the people I’m around,” said Emily Wiebelhaus (9th). She added, “Cross Country also teaches me hard work and persistence.” For Emily, the lessons Cross Country has taught her have translated into personal records, as she skims time off of her runs thanks to constant practice. 

The key to keeping up, for many athletes, is footwear. “Personally, my favorite running shoes are Brooks,” said Maxwell Vollmar (11). Shoes are a common favorite in the running world, providing a runner with the comfort necessary to keep a good pace moving throughout the course. 

The team visits a variety of different courses in the season, each providing different challenges. Emma Middleton (11) described her favorite course: “At Waverly we have won districts, and we hope to win it again.” 

This year, the girls team has been strong. Both the coaches and the team are expecting some great results at state and districts. The next meet is on October 5th at Platteview – the team’s first and only home meet of the season. The last meet before districts is on October 16th  at Beatrice.