Spelling Out a Musical

Kyley Bishop (12) rehearses for the upcoming musical, contemplating the value of the coveted spelling bee trophy.

Nathan Seeber, Staff Writer

Each year, students at Platteview High School put on a Spring musical. This year the choir will be doing a performance of the musical ​The 25th Putnam Spelling Bee​ by William Finn. Director Mr. King said, “It’s a really funny musical and I think it’ll make for a really great show.” The musical follows the events of the titular 25th annual Putnam County Spelling Bee as told by ​Rona Lisa Peretti, the main character. As the musical goes on, the audience learns more and more about each of the contestants at the spelling bee until it reaches the exciting conclusion with the final two spellers.

Ashton Lagasse (11), who plays speller Chip Tolentino, said, “It’s a really funny play and I think it will be a lot of fun to perform.”Another unique aspect of this musical is that it often calls upon audience members to perform a small role in the play. So, If you want to know who ends up winning the spelling bee, have a chance to be a part of the musical itself, or want to see how much work the choir put into the musical, stop by the SumTur Amphitheater on Thursday, April 29 and Friday, April 30, for the musical’s performance.

*If you enjoyed this article, check out the infographic below: “5 Fun Facts about Musicals.”