Wrestling Girls Place at State

Maverick Jensen, Staff Writer

This past weekend marks the end of the girls wrestling season. Returning wrestlers Brianna Miller (12), Hailey Haack (11), Phoenix Jensen (10), Kayla Jeffrey (10), and Kennedy Karschner (10) were excited to see girls wrestling become an emerging sport that will most likely become sanctioned in the near future. After welcoming new wrestlers Kaitlyn Jeffrey (11), Charlotte Dodd (9), and Kylieena McCartney (10) into their team, the girls immediately went straight to business. 

The beginning of the year was a bit of a rough ride. There were some wins here and there, but what really hurt the girls was the fact that the Jeffreys weren’t able to participate in competitions until later in the season. Everything changed after Christmas break though. The Jeffrey sisters were able to compete and practice with other girls on the team; this just brought a certain energy to the room. The girls just began doing much better. They won tough duels, beat girls better than them, and started placing at tournaments. 

After months of hard work and dedication, state finally came along; the girls were proud to bring home 4th place in the 103 pound weight class and 2nd in the 132nd. Sophomore Phoenix Jensen is a third year returning wrestler, who, despite multiple knee injuries, was able to bring home 2nd place at state. Phoenix is a natural leader and an integral part of the team; the girls look forward to her future in wrestling.

Not enough can be said about departing senior Brianna Miller. Despite this only being Miller’s second year, Miller was able to win 4th place in the 103rd at state. “I’m both surprised and proud of myself with my performance at state. I knew I was improving, and had my sights set on becoming a medalist, but it’s amazing to me that I actually did it!” Because of the long season, Miller had to juggle Wrestling, Mock Trial, Esports, and One Act. Miller has made leaps and bounds since beginning of her career last year, and the girls are sad to see her go.

The girls have worked very hard this year through restrictions, inconvenient quarantines, and various injuries. Coaches and wrestlers alike are preparing for the next season, not only for the sport to be NSAA sanctioned, but for Platteview to bring home a state champion.