Semester 2: Club/Activity Update

Emma Mathias, Staff Writer

Winter Sports are wrapping up, but clubs and activities are still in full swing. Some are just starting while others are preparing for competitions and events. From music to student government, students are taking active participation in their school and community. They’re gaining invaluable experience and preparing themselves for the next steps in their education.

Jazz Band:
The Jazz Band kicked off their season last January with small sectionals during band class. They recently switched to having early morning rehearsals on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the band room. “It has been challenging, yet rewarding, to see something we wrote benefit and add to the overall sound of the Jazz Band,” said Claire Snodgrass (12). They are working on three pieces of music to prepare for their contest performance in early April and the NSAA State Jazz Festival on April 9th.

Tri-M Music Honor Society (Tri-M):
Tri-M members have been continuously working on a multitude of new projects since their induction last November. The current projects involve spreading music to the surrounding community, mentoring younger band students, and sharing music throughout the school. The Tri-M members have been working hard to learn, record, and send videos to nursing homes and rehab centers. They have also been building a mentorship program for elementary and middle school band students to connect with and learn new skills from high school band members.

Future Problem Solvers (FPS):
The Future Problem Solvers meet every Wednesday morning at 7:30 in the Media Center. The two teams submitted their State Qualifying Problem and made it to state competition. They will  the State Competition on April 10th.

National Honor Society (NHS):
National Honor Society is meeting March 8th and April 12th in Ms. Lodes’s room. Members are working on community service activities individually and raising money for the Springfield Food Bank collectively. They inducted new members and celebrated the current seniors at their meeting on April 12th.

Writing Club/Writer’s Block:
The Writing Club is currently working on putting together a Publication featuring pieces written by the members that will be released in early May.

Musical:
The 2020-21 Musical for this school year is The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee! Practices are currently every Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday evening from 6:30 to 8:30 in the Auditorium. The cast is hoping to be done choreographing and blocking the show by March 12th, so they can focus on cleaning and polishing. Performances this year will be held at the SumTur Amphitheater on April 29th and 30th.

Future Business Leaders of America(FBLA):
FBLA meetings are currently held once a month in Mrs. Starks’s room. Already this year, they’ve competed in the Peru State Business Competition. Looking ahead, members are gearing up for the State Leadership Conference on April 12th through April 14th.

Spanish Club:
Spanish Club meets the first Monday of every month after school. They meet in Mrs. Zeleny’s room or Ms. Ehrke’s room. The Spanish Club just wrapped up their first food/pantry drive competition for the Springfield Methodist Church. They are currently working on local projects within or around the immediate community as a part of their volunteering and community outreach activities.

Art Club:
Art Club meets on Thursday afternoons from 3:25 to 4:15 in Mrs. Behrens’s room. They are currently brainstorming ideas for new activities. Their main goal for the remainder of the school year is to establish a place for students to create art without having to fit an art class into their schedule.

Student Council:
The Student Council meets the last Monday of every month in Mr. Comine’s room. Their next meeting topic is to discuss next year’s flexible schedule. They are currently weighing the pros and cons of hosting an election for next year now or in the fall.

Quiz Bowl:
The Quiz Bowl team is currently meeting on Thursdays after school in Mr. Nielsen’s room. They have been using this odd school year to build a strong, competitive program in the absence of numerous competitions. The team is, however, gearing up to compete in the conference tournament on March 9th in Plattsmouth. They will be bringing two teams and are aiming to take
home the first Trailblazer Conference title.

Stay up-to-date on Trojan activities with the PHS Charioteer and Platteview social media.