Prom 2021: A Night Under the Stars

Dylan Conover, Senior Editor

See Photos from Prom here.

On Friday, May 14, Platteview High School held its annual prom outdoors at SumTur Amphitheater. Thanks to the outdoor location and recent CDC guidelines, attendees were allowed to be mask-free the whole night long. As freshmen and sophomores left after their Spring Dance, juniors and seniors and their dates filed into SumTur to enjoy a” night under the stars.”

A live Facebook stream of entering students was set up by Mrs. Baugh at Central Office for parents and families while Ms. Johnson, a math teacher at Platteview High School, took pictures. For several minutes, before the dance begin, students intermixed, socialized, and took photos together.

Then, Mr. Jensen announced those selected to prom court. Prom Court was chosen by the student body the week prior to Prom. For the senior boys, the court was Matthew Adkins, Dylan Conover, Shayel Menges, Cole Shemek, and Ben Weis, while the senior girls were Kyra Gray, Mia Loffer, Gracie Rock, Torey Swanson, and Sydney Tagel. From the juniors, boy Prom Court selectees were Ashton Lagasse, Charles Lawrence, Cody Metzger, Luke Smith, and Dayton Swanson. The candidates for princess were Alyssa Apprich, Anna Haubensak, Kaitlyn Jeffrey, Julia Kreifels, and Natasha Metzger.

Of these nominees, Cody and Natasha Metzger were selected as prince and princess; Torey Swanson and Dylan Conover were named queen and king.

After Prom Court was named, the students took the stage and danced to the music. From line dances, to pop music, to slow songs, and more, the students danced the night away.

At the end of the dance, students then made their way to post-prom at Dave and Busters. They enjoyed great food, games, a prize drawing, and entertainment from an air brush tattooist, magician, and caricature artist. When the night ended, they left with memories to last a life time.

You can see more photos from Prom 2021 here.