Soccer Qualifies for State

Dylan Conover, Senior Editor

After a 17 year drought, Platteview’s Boys Soccer qualified for the State Tournament. Seniors Jackson Fluckey, Connor Cargile, and Jacob Cargile led the team throughout the season as they clinched a position, winning the District title.

Connor Cargile, the team’s top scorer, explained that “their was so many great things about this team that helped us go to State. Many underclassmen stepped up and played well the whole season. The team never gave up in any game and we always played for each other.” Against Gross Catholic, Nebraska City, and Beatrice in the District Competition, Platteview held strong and won each game.

During the season, only three of their losses were by more than a point. Because of the cohesion and dedication of each of the players, opponents with older and more experienced players were often unable to surpass Platteview. “The success,” said teammate Jimmy Orellana (10), “came from us trusting each other and really bonding. We all were friends on and off the field.” Despite the tough loss at State from the #1 ranked Skutt Catholic, the team was proud to bring Platteview back to State competition.

Orellana said, “It was an unreal experience for all of us. We knew what we were capable of doing we just needed to put the work in.” Cargile agreed, adding, “the best moment of the season was lifting the District Champs trophy and being a part of the celebrations during and after the District final game.”

High school is about the experiences, and for all the Boys Soccer Team, their trip to State will be unforgettable.