Track and Field Athletes Go to State

Dylan Conover, Senior Editor

On Thursday, May 13, Platteview hosted District Track and Field, from which 14 athletes qualified for the State Competition.

On the girls team, there were six qualifiers. Veronica Guenther (12) was District Champ in both shotput and discus. Even after missing the season last year, she has dominated her events at every meet. Statewide, Guenther is second overall in shotput with a throw of 39.4 feet. Kaitlyn Jeffrey (11) was district champ for 100 meter hurdles and placed third for triple jump. Fellow hurdler Emily Beckham (12) placed second in the 100 meter hurdles.

Also on the track, freshman distance prodigy Olivia Lawrence took first in the 1600 and second in the 3200. Sprinter Brooke Williams (10) placed second in the 100 meter dash, and Makenna Bidrowsky was third in pole vaulting. The girls’ top-notch athleticism  powered them to the finish line, and the girls won the Districts meet.

The boys team had eight qualifiers that will travel to State. Mitchell Rudie (11), Ezra Stewart (10), Connor Millikan (10), and Ben Alexander (10) won the 4×400 meter relay and rank fifth overall in Nebraska. For high jump, Jacob Rehbein (11) placed first with a 6” 3” jump, and Chase Weink (11) placed second.

Stewart also won the 400 meter dash, with Rudie placing second. Stewart said, “My favorite memory of this year has to be finishing in first place to become the District Champion in the 400 and then turning around and getting 1st place in the 4×400 relay with my team.” AJ Raszler took third in the two mile, and Logan Bidrowsky was third place in the pole vault.

All fourteen competitors will be heading to Omaha Burke Stadium on May 21-22 for the State Track Meet.