Show Choir Makes a Comeback

The Platteview Show Choir team celebrates after a performance.

Lauren Roberts, Editor

Platteview High School’s “Platinum” Show Choir season has officially started. Platteview Platinum consists of a wide variety of students who all share a love for music. They have spent the school year learning music, dancing, and making lasting friendships. The group performed at Peru State College last fall, along with several home performances. Their show consisted of three songs: “Try Everything,” “I Was Here,” and “Drag Me Down.” This semester, however, brings an additional song to the show: “Mama Didn’t Raise No Fool.” The group’s new song is an upbeat, jazzy number that features a quartet composed of seniors Lauren Roberts and Paige Fritz, junior Tim Tyler, and sophomore Kasch Spencer. 

The 2022-2023 season brings new opportunities to the group. Director Ms. Morgan Kroll created a program like Platteview has never seen.  This is Platinum’s first year going to competitions since 2020.

On Saturday, January 7th, Platinum attended the Papillion South Titan Classic Show Choir Competition. For most members this was a completely new experience. Freshman Maddie Romans said, “The competitions were extremely fun but also extremely stressful. It was exciting to be a part of it.” The group learned from watching other show choirs and ended the day with a second place trophy in their division. 

Along with the excitement of competition, the group has a costume change in the middle of their show. The group changes out of their blue dresses and ties into black outfits with flashy red jackets for an energetic finish. “Having a costume change in the show is invigorating, it adds a new element to the show that wasn’t there before,” said sophomore Ada Heneger. This is the first year in Platteview’s history that the Show Choir has done a full costume change.

Ms. Kroll also brought back a show band. The band consists of Platteview accompanist Jennie Harrison, drummer Andrew Dierking, and Bass player Owen Hudson. Drummer Andrew Dierking said, “Being in the show band is very fun! I have friends in the Show Choir and I get to work with Mrs Harrison every week. It’s also pretty great to get the opportunity to bang on the drumset even more than I normally would.” 

Overall, the Platteview Show Choir is prepared for a fun filled and successful season. The group is ready to try everything and is excited to bring home many successes and make Platteview Platinum’s name shine bright in the eyes of the Trojan community.