Speech Team Speaks Up: Qualifying for Nationals

Katelyn Grubb, Staff Writer

The Speech Team is a new experience for many at Platteview. The Speech Team coach, Mrs. Michelle Janda, and her team of six members are currently in the middle of their 2018 season. The team devotes a few hours a week to practices, in which they write, edit, and memorize 8-12 minutes of material they will later perform. At each competition the students individually delivers their speech for an audience of about 5-10 people, as well as a select judge. Each student has an opportunity to “place” (or win) depending on the delivery and clarity of their performance. Platteview has already had multiple students place this year.

Senior, Rachel Rockwell, and sophomore, Reed Lenker, qualified for NIETCO, a national speech competition in Denver, Colorado. The two plan to perform their comedic duet, The Least Offensive Play In The Whole Darn World by Jonathan Rand, at the competition on May 11th-13th, 2018. “[We play the part of] salesmen that are selling this product – The Script Cleaner 5000 – that takes all offensive parts [out] of plays,” says Rockwell. “I love making people feel uncomfortable. When people question their morals because of you, you become memorable.”

Junior, Alyssa Riha, also qualified for NIETCO with her serious piece, Three Little Words by Ashley Rhodes-Courter, in which she illustrates the author’s experience in a corrupt foster care system. “The world is filled with [situations similar to those in the piece]” said Riha. “It’s raw, it’s real, and it’s inspiring to see people understand that.” Riha has been to Nebraska’s State Speech competition both her freshman and sophomore year; however, the NIETCO is a new event for her and the whole team. “I combined acting skills I’ve learned with Jess West and experience I’ve gained with Mrs. Janda [to make] this piece what it is today,” says Riha.

The team is very excited with the success they’ve had thus far in the season, and they are still open to any newcomers that may be interested. “There’s an event for everyone, which means there’s something for everyone to love,” says Riha. Rockwell also encourages new members to join, and offers some advice of her own: “If you’re thinking of joining, [I recommend you] choose something that you’re passionate [about].” If students are interested in acting, either presenting serious topics or preforming comedic pieces, Platteview’s Speech team would be happy to introduce new members.