ICU: The Great Debate Over Missing Assignments

Second semester at Platteview High School is different this year. The school board introduced a new system to prevent missing assignments. According to poweroficu.com, ICU is “The Power of ICU is a proven formula for student success, (that ensures). Every student completes every assignment is an attainable and measurable goal.” There is profound controversy among teachers, and students over ICU. Mrs. Ortis (a science teacher at Platteview) said “I like it, It makes my assignments come in, and I don’t have to track down students. Students grades seem to be higher, and I don’t have to worry about students not doing well in a class because they’re not turning in assignments.” Laura Sherman (a senior at Platteview) said “I don’t think it’s beneficial. I think it causing students to rely on teachers and parents, and that safety net is not ever lasting.”

Poweroficu.com states that “Completion + Quality + Assignments + Healthy Grading = Student Success.” This formula seems pretty simple on the website; however, there are so many components to how this process works. The online database sends messages or emails to parents and their student if a teachers submits that they have a missing assignment. The misconceptions about this process is that after students miss an assignment, they have three days to submit the assignment. This does not just include school days. That means students still have to submit missing work during weekends and snow days. ICU works on a rule of three: students have three days to submit late work and three missing assignments before action is taken by detentions or parent meetings. The website encourages “quality assignments;” that is, teachers should prioritize what they assign and when it’s due, but it also calls on students to complete assignments on time.

Students were very quick to judge this system, but this system is already benefiting out student body greatly. Some success stories shared on poweroficu.com claim that ICU is decreasing missing assignments by eighty three percent. These stories talk about “engaging students to work hard” and students proclaiming “I’m off the list!” when they turn in missing assignments. Administrators on poweroficu.com said, “The ICU team has been a tremendous resource and support as we continue to build a learning culture for our students.” Something to keep in mind, though, is that parents have the option to change who receives these notifications with a limit of two email addresses and one phone number for contact. The ICU system thus encourages parents to influence students to work harder at turning in assignments on time and to notify teachers when they have submitted late work.

We would like to hear your thoughts on ICU. Post your comments below.