Junior High About to Get a Make Over

New floor plans for the Junior High.

Dylan Conover, Staff Writer

Currently, Platteview Central is undergoing comprehensive planning for remodeling and modernization. Groups of contractors have taken looks and assessed the situation, and the Lincoln based Hausmann Construction was chosen. The beginning of the actual renovation is set for the end of the school year in May.

Mr. Johnson, Platteview Central’s Principal, said one of the reasons for the renovation was that “we want a safer school.” He continued, “the shell will stay exactly as it is,” but permanent walls put in and “every classroom [will be] locked.” Concerning Mr. Laughlin’s room, he said “the ramp will go away, stairs going in,” and that a new ramp will connect his room with the current Learning Center’s back right corner. In addition, Mr. Johnson also said “the science rooms will get a little bigger,” “heating and cooling redone,” and the “The Pit” filled in. Even though the project will cost “five million, approximately,” the junior high itself will not be expanded.

The current locker room will be transformed into the Special Ed room, and the Learning Center into the “Learning Commons,” a place where students can come to relax and socialize. It will include the current overlook, which will be filled in. The principal’s office will also be expanded. The biggest noticeable change, however, will be the main ramp. Except for the side near the reception/front desk, it will all be replaced by stairs, with an actual lift located near Mr. Soneson’s room. Noting the big changes to his room, Mr. Laughlin said he is happy about the updates, but thinks “the timing is bad.”

Many would agree with Mr. Laughlin; with the end scheduled around mid-October, new and current seventh graders will be treated to portable classrooms when the renovation infiltrates into the school year. Ben Beecham, a seventh grader, said the portable classrooms “might take some getting used to,” but “I have experience with portable classrooms,” referencing his elementary years. He finished “[it will] affect the school positively.” Another seventh grader, Gage Riba, said “I’m really excited…but not about portable classrooms.” On the bright side, he said “it will all be worth it.”