Westmont Elementary Celebrates Dr. Suess

Dylan Conover, Staff Writer

From February 26th through March 2nd, Westmont Elementary celebrated the achievements and memories of Dr. Seuss’s (his real name was Theodor Seuss Geisel) by wearing articles of clothing that can be linked to one of his many classical books. The elementary students also had the pleasure of being read some of Dr. Seuss’s works to by some of Platteview’s high schoolers as part of the National Read Across America Day.

Dr. Seuss was born March 2nd, 1904, and he died September 24, 1991, at the age of 87. Throughout his life, he wrote dozens of best selling books, poetry, and political cartoons- such as his illustrations for the Standard Oil Company and WWII cartoons.

Westmont student Ethan Conover said “It’s a week dedicated to Dr. Seuss…We did Dr. Seuss bingo, Wacky Wednesday, we dressed up, made Dr. Seuss hats, and we read Dr Seuss books… [and] I was excited to have a school day that was different.” The whole week was a frenzy of Dr. Seuss themes and activities to have a different, but fun atmosphere for the students.

Westmont principal Melissa Hasty said, “I have been here for 10 years and we have celebrated [Dr. Seuss] for each of those years.” She continued, “Dr. Seuss week gives us a chance to have fun while reading. We get to dress up, eat green eggs and ham, and do special activities to celebrate reading and such a great author.” She said the Principal’s Cabinet planned the dress up days, and the school improvement committees planned some of the activities. She explained they did this because “our students get a chance to have fun and enjoy some terrific books.”