• October 4FCCLA must pay dues by October 15th

• October 4NHS Blood Drive Nov. 9th

• October 4HOMECOMING TICKETS ON SALE $10

Trojan: Brenda Sherman

Brenda Sherman helps out at District Music contest to help raise funds for PHS band.

John Kinney

John Kinney

John Kinney, Staff Writer

Brenda Sherman is a member of the school board at Platteview. She is a parent of Platteview students Laura, Colleen, and Scott Sherman.

What motivated you to become a member of the Platteview school board?
As an accountant, I thought that I could give back to the community and would have my financial background to offer at the board table. As a parent, my mom always said to be where your kids are so… I am a part of what my kids are experiencing every day.

How has being a member of the school board at Platteview benefited you?
The experience has afforded me the opportunity to learn an enormous amount about education in the classroom and the funding of that education in the state of Nebraska. I have built relationships with other board members as well as staff and students at SPCS. I am fortunate to be involved in decision making on facility improvements such as the track, field, parking lot, Westmont Elementary and PC upgrades. The benefits of this position far outweigh any drawbacks.

When you ran for school board you ran under what values or principles?
Public education is very important. I want students to be afforded opportunities and education so that can positively impact the world. I believe in all students at all levels. Everyone has something positive they can contribute.

What is something you love about being a part of the school board at Platteview?
I am a numbers gal, so I love to see where the money goes and what statistical results happen with the investment. I also love the relationships I have built with staff, students, fellow board members, and the community.

What does it mean to be a Trojan?
Gosh. This question might make me tear up bit. I am an adopted Trojan – not one by alumni or birth. But even as an adopted kid from Iowa. This special community has included me in the group. I wanted to raise my own children in an environment similar to what I was used to – a small community where everyone cared about everyone else and were proud of where they came from. As an adopted Trojan I am very proud and humbled to be a part of this community. I am always amazed that the Iowa girl keeps getting reelected on the Nebraska school board.